<span class="highlight">LED</span> <span class="highlight">light</span> bars

Submitted: Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 12:55
ThreadID: 88481 Views:7044 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Good day all.

I am after some feed back from any one that has fitted the LED light bars to their vehicle. I am wondering whether they are worth the money or am I better of getting HID lights instead.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - michael H (NSW) - Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 14:02

Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 14:02
Hi Vern & Leanne

I have a 20” Rigid led light bar mounted on my roof rack and 170mm Light Force Striker spotties on the bull bar one flood and one pencil and the Light Force are great for long distance but the Rigid light bar throw so much more light as a peripheral lighting if that makes sense.
I originally bought Rigid Dually’s for my quad then a set of 10” for another quad they have such a low current draw I’m sold on them.

Cheers Michael
AnswerID: 462654

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 14:45

Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 14:45
Do you want the honest truth and no advertising hype?

We sell the VisionX range of LED products out of the USA and to be honest LED light bars are fantastic for wide angle close range stuff but for replacing driving lights no comparison.

When we take on new products we want them to do what they say will do and not sell them on the merit of how good something is in an advertisement.

We have been playing around with LED light bars for about 10 months now comparing different ones and looking at claims made.

On mob advertises heavily of how their LED light bars will out perform HID driving lights with the caption of something like" spending $1400 on a set of HID lights save money and buy a LED light bar".

For high speed driving HID's will kill light bars and for close range LED light bars are hard to beat.

What we have found is if you put to much light in a close range your eyes will start closing down and you will loose long range vision, much like looking into the sun.

And a LED light bar will only put out workable light within about 100m, so at 100 kph you will cover that distance in under 3 seconds meaning you will out drive your lights.

Bang for bucks forget light bars and get a good set of HID's

AnswerID: 462662

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 15:51

Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 15:51
Vern,

Would endorse what olcoolone says. Have driven a couple of road trains with light bars on, and amount of light immediately in front of the truck is awesome, but half a click down the road, well, you're straining your eyes to see what's there.

Prior to this, had put some HID inserts into a couple of old Bosch "Bull Lights", and mounted them on the Landcruiser ute. From a 1960's vintage light, the output down the road was impressive, with a visible range probably in excess of 1,000 metres.

Outback driving, go HID. Coastal, or winding roads, pick the LED's. Both suffer from intense reflection off large road signs, almost requiring a drop to low beam, or switch off the bright ones.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 736470

Reply By: Member - Vern - Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 21:05

Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 21:05
Thanks to all for your response's they have been very informative and a huge assistance. Thanks again

AnswerID: 462692

Sponsored Links